Monday, September 17, 2012

Haley Livingston's blog! :)

Name: Haley Livingston
Item Title: Nursing: Concepts of Practice
Author: Dorothea E. Orem
Publisher: Mosby- Year-Book Inc
Date: 1991

Hi everyone!


            So the book I chose to use was called Nursing: Concepts of Practice by an author named Dorothea E. Orem and I knew from the second that I saw it on the Mount Saint Mary's catalog that it was the book for me. I can say this for several reasons, the most important being that I am currently a nursing major. I made a recent career choice switch toward the nursing direction and I hope to do beautifully in all my classes and succeed to be the best possible nurse I can be. But with any other job there is out there, there is always time to learn more about what you are studying, which I why I chose this book. It gave me a much better understanding of a nurse's life such as the hours they tend to work regularly depending on the area, how many different opportunities there are within the nursing field, and a normal schedule for a nurse each day. Even more specifically I have known what kind of nurse I have wanted to be which is actually pretty similar to psychiatrist, it is called a psychiatric nurse practitioner. The only differences I have seen between the two jobs through my research is that they have different college and graduate school requirements, slightly low salaries, and fewer patients. But other than that, most of the things needed in both jobs is the same. I still get to be a counselor for different patients and prescribe medicine to patients as well. In fact, I could not be more excited just thinking about all the wonderful things that could emerge out of it! This book again helped me to widen my eyes to see even more things about my future career path that I myself did not know was true. If any of you are considering becoming a nursing major, this trully is the book to look into. It will tell everything you need to know about the basics of nursing in order to make or break your decision. Nursing in general is a great field to go into because, unlike most jobs in this recession, you be almost guarnteed a job instantly. The reason for this is because, due to the new health care bill becoming a law, nurses are needed more then ever and there are simply not enough nurses to go around to support as many people as we need to in today's society. Again if you are at all considering looking into nursing I can promise you this book will not be a waste of your time! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment